Well I guess I am suppose to post something on the blog, at least that is what I have been informed of by my wife. I guess that I should finally post something on the blog instead of just having Sherri do all of it. But don't get use to it, I am not much for writing, although I do from time-to-time and who knows maybe I will start writing a lot more.
Well first of all last week was Scout camp for the troop that I work with, I am Assistant Scoutmaster. I was a good week, 7 boys went and earned 26 merit badges and there will be a couple of rank advancements as well. Their goal was to earn 25 merit badges and earn the Camp Wyandot award as well. For those who don't know the Wyandot Award (named after the camp) is an award based on activities that the boys have to complete during the week and include service projects, showing Scout spirit, plant and bird identification, etc. They can earn this award every year that they are at camp, and while some have been at camp more years than they have received the award (this is because the leaders had no clue about it 3 years ago). Almost all of them earned the Wyandot, some for the first year, most second year, and even one third year. Also we had 5 boys and 1 leader call out to the Order of the Arrow, which is kind of an honor society of the Boy Scouts. They will be going through their Ordeal next month. I would tell you what that entails but some of them might read this and they are not suppose to know what they will be doing. I went through it about 20 years ago.
Anyhow camp was fun, but very hot with the temperatures being about 95 degrees the three days I was there. I kind of cheated and slept out in a hammock so I wouldn't suffocate in the old army style tents they supply at camp. That was kind of a interesting experience as well. I have never slept in a hammock, day or night, and while I enjoyed it I learned a couple of things. First was make sure to break in the rope that you connect the hammock to before you sleep in it. The story behind that is on Wednesday night of camp, the second night in the hammock, we had parents night. So Bro. Hale brought out pizzas and other snacks and we had a great time. Well later that night the resident raccoons also had a great time with all of the leftovers from the food. I woke up to one of them in the trash can and so I clapped my hands to scare them off. Well that scared them off for about 2 minutes. I had put my hammock above a pallet that they use in the tents at camp and I heard one of the raccoons walking on the pallet. So I slapped the side of my hammock to scare it off, well that was also they side that has a pocket and I had a hard cover book in there and must have hit the raccoon in the face because I then hear it squalling as it left camp in a hurry. I then moved and notice my butt was on the pallet from the ropes stretching. I then grabbed my flashlight and looked out across the camp and saw no fewer than 10 pairs of eyes looking back at me, most of them belonging to baby raccoons. Then I watch as one baby raccoon walked over to the pallet and then climbed up on it and then crawled under my legs. It was so close I could have picked it up. It was then that I decided to get up and fix my hammock and chase away the local residents.
So camp was fun and we all survived. I have more to write but I will have to do that at some point in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment